16 – 17 Railcard
You could save 50% with a 16–17 Saver
Choose date & timeClose ✕
You can book up to 90 days in advance.
Looking for dates further in the future?
Train operators can only release tickets for sale up to 90 days in advance.
But don't worry, you don't have to miss out - be the first to hear when tickets are available with our FREE ticket alert.
Email me when tickets become available
Going departing after
What is the 16 – 17 Saver?
With a 16–17 Railcard, known as the 16–17 Saver, you can get 50% off most rail fares to travel across Britain. It’s great for young students and professionals to save money on getting to college or work, or exploring destinations around the UK with friends.
If you’re aged between 16 and 17-years old, read on to find out how much a 16–17 Saver costs, how to buy one and exactly how to use it to book cheap train tickets with us.
Who is it for?
- Anyone aged 16 or 17
- The 16–17 Saver is valid for one year or until your 18th birthday, whichever comes first.
How much does a 16 – 17 Saver cost?
If you’re already 17, you might want to consider buying the 16 – 25 Railcard instead.
How can I get the 16–-17 Railcard?
Buy a 16 – 17 Saver online and choose to get it digitally or via post. To apply, all you need is:
- Evidence of age - a valid UK driving licence, passport or national ID card
- A good quality digital passport-style photo of you
- Debit or credit card for payment
You can also buy your 16-17 Saver over the phone, by calling their telesales service on 0345 301 1656* (7am to 10pm every day except Christmas Day).
*Calls cost no more than calls to geographic numbers (01 or 02) and may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes. Please note, you’ll also need to submit your photo via email.
- Evidence of age - a valid UK driving licence, passport or national ID card - over the phone or email a copy
- A good quality digital passport-style photo ready to be emailed to us
- A debit or credit card for payment
What happens next?
If you buy a digital Saver, you'll be sent a code and once you download the Railcard app and upload the card onto your phone, you can start using it straight away.
Where and when can I use my Saver?
A 16-17 Saver gets you 50% off most rail fares every day of the year with no time restrictions and no minimum fare.
You can buy discounted tickets up until the expiry date of your 16-17 Saver. If you buy a discounted Season ticket before the expiry of your 16-17 Saver, you can continue to use this Season ticket for up to 4 months after expiry. The expiry date and the date that you can use your Season ticket until are shown on your 16-17 Saver. For more information on when you can use your railcard, read the full list of applicable fares.
When buying your train tickets through the CrossCountry mobile app, follow these simple steps to claim your discount.
- Put in your origin and destination as normal
- Click on the drop-down menu on the tab that says '1 adult, no railcards or promotions'
- From here, click on 'Add railcard' followed by 'Select a railcard'
- Scroll down to ’16 – 17 Saver’, select this then click on the 'Done' button and after that, the 'Get times & tickets' prompt
At this stage, you should see the discount applied, and you should be able to follow the booking flow to the checkout page.